- As part of a predictable late-day news dump before a long holiday weekend, the NFL announced 49ers Aldon Smith will be suspended for nine games for violating the league’s substance abuse policy. The Niners (heh) have a bye week in Week 8, so Smith will be eligible for reinstatement for Week 11′s game against the Giants.
- Sad day for law firms as BenJarvus Green-Ellis was released by the Bengals today. (Just kidding, almost all days are sad at law firms just ask any lawyer how happy they are at their job.)
- Fox Sports is reporting the NFLPA and NFL are discussing raising the amount of marijuana that can found in a person’s system to be considered a violation of the league’s banned substances policy. By the time this whole thing is done, it’s going to be called the Josh Gordon line.
- Since it’s been weed week around here, here is a nice primer on the Mary Jane over on EDSBS.
- If you haven’t taken the time yet to do so, be sure to give ESPN Magazine’s profile on Jerry Jones a read. And no, he did not tamper with Adrien Peterson.
- Speaking of Jerrah, he’s pretty proud of himself for listening to his minions for a change and not drafting Johnny Manziel. When do Cowboy fans finally storm the gates and put their GM’s head on a pike?
- Speaking of heads that should be put on pikes, the AFL-CIO has announced their support of the NFL blackout rules saying that it forces people to go to the stadium and support the union jobs that control most stadiums. Aside: When I worked in an arena, I once got in trouble for replacing the light bulb for my own desk lamp (even though I had put in request that had gone unanswered for a week). When I worked in a stadium, I once got in trouble for moving a cart of merch because there were not any available warehouse workers around. I’m pretty pro-union, but I’m not a fan of everything they do on this front.
- And finally, PFT Commentator and I are a part of the Uproxx Invitational Fantasy League over on Uproxx Sports. Yahoo says I won the draft, everyone thinks PFTC is going win the league. We’re both counting on the KSK Kommentariat’s support this season so we can put those Warming Glow guys to shame.
- UPDATE: So this just happened.
Irsay reaches plea deal in OWI case, Hamilton Cty prosecutor announces. #colts
— Mark Alesia (@markalesia) August 29, 2014
I’ve been saying all day we might finally hear from Goodell on the Irsay case just before close today so it can die on the news vine while no one is paying attention. We’re one step closer now.
I want more like this!
Follow Kissing Suzy Kolber on Facebook and get the latest NFL news and humor before everyone else.