What did we learn on first day of the combine?
– Mike Mayock has very little patience for the Manti Te’o story.
– Mayock has even less patience for Rich Eisen bugging him to join Twitter and has no interest in telling people about the sandwich he had for lunch.
– Speaking of lunch, Twitter and Te’o, there was a pretty nice bit of comedy — for me at least — when the Te’o noon press conference was pushed back a couple of hours leaving room full of reporters staring at an empty podium and an empty lunch room. Serves anyone making still paying attention to Te’o for reasons beyond football right to miss lunch for nothing.
– Tight ends Vance McDonald, Chris Gragg and Tyler Eifert looked impressive in drills, good news for Gragg who missed much of his senior year recovering from surgery.
– Terron Armstead runs a fast 4.71 40 at 300-plus pounds. Frankly he just looked powerful.
– Despite the day also being for kickers, not once did the NFLN actually show kickers.
What do we have to look forward to today? USC’s Matt Barkley not throwing. Hard to believe back in October in my first post of the 2012 season for KSK I said, “pre-season darling Matt Barkley has a head start on being yet another disappointing Trojan quarterback, hopefully saving us pro football fans the agony of seeing another Leinart/Sanchez/Palmer/Booty stink up the NFL” and yet here he is already not looking impressive at the combine.
So turn on the TV and let the quiet of Lucas Oil Field wash over you as you nap away your hangover. Just don’t ask Mayock about Twitter.
I want more like this!
Follow Kissing Suzy Kolber on Facebook and get the latest NFL news and humor before everyone else.